High-resolution images could slow down your website. We use image compression to solve that specific problem. In this tutorial, we will show you how to easily compress an image without any quality loss.
Why You Should Compress an Image?
First, you have to understand that photos that you capture through a digital camera or a mobile device have a higher image resolution by default.
If you upload a higher-resolution photo then whenever someone loads your website, this image will load slowly.
Not everyone has a speedy Internet connection. The global average broadband internet speed is 11.03Mbps (megabits per second).
The user will likely exit your website before waiting to load this image. As a webmaster, you definitely don’t want to lose a user.
Here are more reasons why you should compress images:
- A slow-loading website will impact your SEO badly.
- Properly sized photos look good on the web.
- Mobile users will be able to navigate your website easily.
How to Compress an Image?
Before telling you how to compress an image, I think you should know that you need to compress and reduce its size. Let me explain how exactly you should do it.
You should reduce the resolution of an image by crop and re-size function. Also, always use a proper image file format.
There are multiple ways you can compress an image further without losing its quality. Let’s first look at what we can do to reduce image resolution.
How to Reduce Image Resolution?
We can use multiple image editing software to reduce the resolution of any image. Also, there are some online tools available to achieve this exact same thing.
Since we cannot cover all the existing tools and software on the web, we are only going to share with you one instance of each.
We are going to show you how to reduce an image resolution by using third-party software such as Photoshop and an online tool.
How to Reduce Image Resolution Using Photoshop?
Photoshop is a paid image editing software. You will need to buy it from the official website. Please follow the instructions on the official website to install it on your computer.
- Open Photoshop then Click File > Open. Select your image.
- Click File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy)
- Under the Image Size, change the resolution to any length.
- Click on the Save button to save this file on your computer.
How to Reduce Image Resolution Using an Online Tool?
You can use an online tool by the name img2go.
- Upload your file to the image compressor. It can be an image, document, or even a video.
- Select an image format from the drop-down list. For compression, we offer PNG and JPG.
- Choose the quality you want your image to be saved in. The lower the quality, the better the compression!
- Click on “Start” to start the compression process.
How to Compress Existing Images on WordPress?
If you want to compress an image you can use software or a tool before uploading it to your WordPress website. But what if you have already uploaded those images without compressing them?
Don’t worry, on WordPress, there is always a plugin exist to solve your problem. You can download the EWWW Image Optimizer plugin. Check out our article on how to install and activate a plugin.
- Go to Media > click Bulk Optimize.
- Click on Scan to find unoptimized images.
- When the scan has finished, click on Start Optimizing.
Remember that, image compression is an important part of improving website speed and search engine performance. Hopefully, by using these methods you will be able to reduce your image file size considerably.
If you want to add a slider to your WordPress website then check out these best WordPress slider plugins.